1) The word which most likely to have a negative flavor if C. Harangue. This task is asking you to look through the given options and according to their definition choose the one that takes part in negative context. The definition of harangue explains that this is a long unpleasant speech that can be described as a verbal attack which creates quite negative mood.
2) The statement which is most accurate regarding the speaking-writing connection is A. The words used by writers are not normally used in speaking. This task requires your acknowledgement in basics of rhetoric which devoted to relationship between speaking and writing and the main point which characterize it is that people and writers usually employ different language as writes can vary the ways of figurative languages that they use in their works.
3) When using direct quotations in your writing, the punctuation mark which should be placed outside the set of quotation marks is B. Semicolon. This task is devoted to the main punctuation rules and you should remember that semicolon is always applied outside the quotation marks as it connect two parts of direct quotation that might have been separated by words of author or conjunctions.
4) The word which is the best close-up word is D. Zucchini. When you are asked to determine the best close-up words it means that you have to move from general to specific point and the specific one is the answer that you are looking for. All the options besides zucchini abring general meaning as they embrass different classes and types, and zucchini is a specific word that is plant which is a vegetable and it is our food.
5) The following sentence or phrase which most likely to be considered a cliché is B. Look before you leap. To recognize a cliche in particular phrase or sentence you just have to know whether it is a common, stereotyped expression or not. ‘’Look before you leap’’ is an idiom which belongs to cliches as it is an expression that is commonly used to warn someone to be careful.
6) The most important point in the following sentence is D. Emily has many friends. Your task is to identify the part of the sentence which put under the emphasis, but you can be distracted by the relative clauses. Just think of the sentence and guess the main idea, decide which part plays main role and which is characterize or adds information. The relative clause “ the tallest girl in her class’’ is just adds some details to her personality, but the message is that she has a lot of friends.
7) To vary the sentence structure, the sentences which you should insert in the blank is A. Have you noticed how hard she works? This task is asking you to make the sentence look and sound more combined, more alive by changing a structure of the next sentence so that it can be read 'smoothly'. All the options except A repeat the same or similar structure as in the given sentence whereas A appeals to readers and enriches the structer of Ann's characteristics at the same time.
8) The sentence which is written in the active voice is C. Few people think seriously of doing something about accidents. You have to know the main difference between the active and passive which is : active - the subject of the sentence performs the action; passive - the action is performed upon the sentence subject, so sometimes you can come across the action that was performed without subject at all.
9) The statement about vocabulary building which is not correct is B. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to memorize lists of vocabulary words. The rest of options represent correct statements and some of them are useful for people who want to enrich their vocabulary. Simple memorizing is not a good idea, because the knowledge comes with context, the more you read (come across) words the more you add it in your daily use list of words, as vocabulary should be expanded gradually and naturally which is essential.