Match the following definitions with your vocabulary words. 1. charging an official with a misdeed judicial review 2. chosen; appointed impeachment 3. to improve; to change; to make into a better quality nominated 4. reverse; change to the opposite position overturn 5. whether the law or act is constitutional amended 6. court determination of constitutionality of laws passed constitutionality
1. charging an official with a misdeed (a crime): impeachment
2. chosen; appointed (suggest someone for an election, job): nominated
3. to improve; to change: to make into a better quality: amended
4. reverse; change to the opposite position: overturn
5. whether the law or act is constitutional: constitutionality
6. court determination of constitutionality of laws passed: judicial review
today we'd use social media to quickly spread a controversial idea, but in the eighteenth century, the printed pamphlet was highly effective. and thomas paine took full advantage of it. on january 9, 1776, when paine published his pamphlet, "common sense," he wanted to push the american people toward independence from britain. it ultimately ignite the american revolution. thomas paine argued that the monarchy was evil and should be rejected as a form of government. to underscore his point, he cited the bible to argue his case -- in judges 8: 22-23: "the israelites said to gideon, 'rule over us, you and your son and your ' gideon told them, 'i will not rule over you. the lord will rule over you'" (nrsv).